Step 1: Website checkup
Answer the question: Is your website working as hard as you?
Check if it does the following:
- Maintains a relationship with existing clients
- Builds trust with potential clients
- Strengthens your brand
- Influences purchasing decisions
- Increases profit
Let’s put your website to the test:
Responsiveness & Speed test – use Google to test your site: thinkwithgoogle.com/feature/testmysite/
5 second test – your site should clearly answer three questions:
- What is the name of your company?
- What do you sell
- What’s your value?
TRUNK test – print out a random page on your site, hold it at arm’s length, circle the following:
- Site Name or Logo
- Page Name
- People are busy
- Don’t make them hunt for information
- Write short, easy to read paragraphs
- Use bullet points
- Headlines tell viewers where they are
- Important things should be prominent (but not TOO prominent)
Step 2: Immediate impact
- Use responsive banners to communicate updates
- Focus on the customer experience
- Value for COVID-19 / statement on social issues
- Pop-ups for quick sign-ups or promotions
- Order delivery! Book a table! Free download!
Make a clear Call to Action
An experience that prompts a visitor to…DO SOMETHING
- Make a purchase
- Schedule a meeting
- Provide an email
- Pick up the phone
- and so much more
You can have multiple CTA’s, but one should be primary.
…and think through the steps following the CTA
- Be clear and concise!
- What’s going to happen when they…
- fill out a contact form?
- buy something online?
- sign up for a newsletter?
Step 3: Consistent brand communication
- Don’t be silent, be strategic
- Opportunity to lead and uplift the community
- As things change, keep your customers updated
- Speaking of…email marketing open rates are on the rise
Promote Diversity, Inclusion & Community
- Show the action of your brand
- Stock photos with different ethnicities, genders, ages, etc
- Careers webpage – inclusion and fair interview policies
- Highlight the non-profit organizations and causes you support
- Take creative leaps
- Promote new collaborations, partnerships, community efforts
- Try new cross-marketing efforts, live streaming apps
- Focus on the VALUE
- Engage your audience with a healthy dose of empathy
- Capitalize on emotional risks
- Steer clear of puns, memes, jokes
- Anything anxiety inducing
- Capitalize on emotional risks
Step 4: New content formats
Always try something new, some suggestions:
- Facebook Live
- Online webinars
- Youtube vlogging
- TikTok ads
- Podcasts (great when you have a face for radio)
Where to go
- Find out where your customers hang out
- Focus your efforts
- Don’t try to be everywhere because of hype
- Determine whether your content is relevant to your audience
Step 5: Build strategic content
These strategic pieces of content help you build a relationship with your customers without even meeting them in person. The goal is for your website to build a reputation digitally.
- Media Icons – “As Seen In” or “Featured In” sections
- Testimonials – Give potential customers insight
- Awards – It’s OK to show off!
- Memberships and Affiliations – Who you know
FAQs, Resources, Knowledge Base
- Consolidate common questions or information in ONE place
- Bring efficiency to your day to day
- Allow your brand personality or expertise to shine
- Improve SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and rank for long tail keywords